Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Truth Hurts

OK, so maybe the title is a little more dramatic then it needs to be, but this was the conversation I overheard Reagan and her friend Lydia having today.

Lydia: "Can you go ask your mom if it's OK if we play with your paper dolls." "Ask her if she can help us tear the clothes out."

Reagan: "You mean go ask Nati?" She's not my REAL mom, she's my step mom"

*sigh*

I don't know where exactly Reagan learned the term "Real Mom" or Step Mom to be quite honest. I have never referred to myself as her step mom or her mom, we have always just used the terms Nati, and Mommy at our house when we talk about things.

This wasn't the first time I have heard her refer to me as NOT her Real Mom. The first time I heard her say it, it really caught me off guard, but I don't' know why it still catches me off guard.

I realize that the statement is true, I am NOT her real Mom, but I think I would just kind of rather stick to her calling me Nati, and not "My Step Mom", and her Mom.... well just keep calling her Mom and not "My REAL Mom."

Is that selfish?? Probably.... I need to just get over it, I mean I am quite a bit OLDER then she is! ha ha

6 comments:

Melissa said...

thats gotta be really hard, and I think its going to be something you deal with until she is like , 30. shes only 5 now (right?) imagine what she will be like as a 16 year old. hmm...good luck with that.

The Zieglers said...

You should tell her that she's a really lucky girl because she does have a "real mom", a mom that gave her life and loves her unconditionally, but she has also been blessed with a "BONUS MOM" ~ whom she calls Nati. You may not have given her life, but you love her just the same. Hopefully someday she will realize just how lucky she is!

Megan said...

You know what’s funny about this? She’s probably over at her ‘REAL’ mom’s house…saying to one of her little friends… “Oh…no, she’s just my REAL mom, I only do stuff like that with Nati, she’s way better at ___ than my mom.” Truly…

Heidi said...

I am with Megan and Trish! I love the term Bonus mom!

Natalee said...

Aw thanks! You guys just made me feel TONS better! :) I think I'm actually going to use the term Bonus Mom. I like it too! :)

Unknown said...

I like Bonus Mom, too. I've seen you interact with Reagan and she really does have a boon in life to have you in hers. I'm sure it's just Shannon correcting her that started the whole "Real Mom" thing, anyway. Mom