First of all...THANK YOU for all of your comments and e-mails about Tiara. I appreciated knowing you all were thinking of us!
After about 72 hours of Tiara not walking at all, I decided that I better face the music and call the vet. He was very nice, and asked me lots of questions about Tiara's progress or lack there of. When I told him that she would eat and drink if I would feed it to her by hand, and that she was having to wear Keric's diapers because she still couldn't walk and therefore couldn't go outside to go to the bathroom. He told me that if she didn't respond to the antibiotics by Friday, she probably would not respond at all....GREAT! JUST what I was hoping to hear!
I called my mother-in-law. She is a nurse, and also has lots of experience with dogs. I told her what the vet had said and she suggested we get a second opinion. She asked around and called another vet here in town. He had a few other ideas about what may be wrong with her, and suggested she take the antibiotic prescribed and another antibiotic that he would prescribe on top of that. He suggested we wait two WEEKS before doing anything rash.
Last night she was sitting on the couch with us watching T.V. She had thrown herself off the couch a couple of times trying to get down and follow one of us. Then we went upstairs to do the night-time routine, and she all of the sudden decided to walk! I think some of it was inspired by Chompie chasing her and also the fact that she thought Chris didn't see her and was going to step on her, but whatever the reason, she walked upright for a little while.
It's not a pretty walk by any means. It's kind of like watching a 1 year old learn to walk. She takes a few pretty good steps, and then falls down. She is walking a little more today, and is able to go to the bathroom outside much to ALL of our relief. I was getting a little tired of changing two babies diapers, and Chompie was getting lonely out there by himself. :)
So anyway...she isn't 100%, but we at least have much higher hopes for her now! I don't know that we will ever know exactly what is wrong with her, but hopefully we are on top of it now, and whatever it is will be gone soon.
Thank you again for all your good thoughts in our direction! We'll keep you posted!
4 comments:
Nice to see that things are looking up for her.
Oh I wanted to tell you too, that just in case you are waiting for that check for the towel to clear, it won't. I accidentally washed in in the laundry. I forgot to take it our of my jeans pocket. Sorry if you have been waiting for it to clear, I keep forgetting to tell you. :)
Oh!!! Tiara! I wish I were there to give you a kiss! Do you think it has anything to do with the new baby? It doesn't sound like it, but our bird peep had this complete emotional breakdown when we got a cat (I know what you're thinking..."duh" right?) Well, anyway, she stopped eating, and started falling to the bottom of her cage. We took her to the vet because I thought she was eggbound or really ill. She picked so many feathers off her booty it bled, and I thought she was going to die. $400 later we found out...NOTHING. Anyway, we started giving her massive ammounts of attention, moved her cage and her illness suddenly went away. hmmmm?
Oh...and Kirk found the photos...=)You actually look really cute! I just need to scan them. Love, MEEE
Post a Comment