Monday, July 7, 2008

The Wexels Week of Wonder/ Happy Birthday To Me


Every year Chris' family plans a little family vacation/reunion during the Summer. I'm not sure where the name came from, but we refer to it as the "Wexels Week of Wonder". So this year, the week of wonder took place in Southern Utah at a ski resort called Brian Head. This is a place Chris has gone to with his family since he was a little kid, so they were all very familiar with Brian Head and its surroundings, but I had obviously never been.

Most of the family, including Chris Aunt and Uncle from California arrived in Brian Head on Wednesday July 1st, but we weren't actually able to go down until Friday the 4th.

We packed the car up and headed down in the late afternoon. Cameron and Reagan had spent the morning with their Mom and Justin doing 4th of July parades and I think they told me a little BBQ in the park, so we weren't able to leave until after we picked them up. It gave us a rather late start, but we eventually made it. Keric was really good in the car. He hates his car seat and I was worried about him crying the entire time down there, but he actually slept for most of the time, and only woke up and cried when he was hungry.

Chris' family had rented a couple of Condos, so when we got there, we unpacked our stuff into the condo we would be sharing, and then headed out to find a place to watch the fireworks. It was the first time I ever remember being almost too cold, sitting outside watching fireworks. It felt good. I thought maybe Keric would stay awake to at least see one or two fireworks, but he slept through the entire thing.

The next day we went exploring. Chris took me to some neat places in Brian Head. There are lots of really pretty red rocks and canyons all over Southern Utah. It was really fun. He took Cameron and Reagan fishing later on that evening, but Keric had had enough "fun" so I stayed at the Condo and tried to get him settled down.





Some of the sights we saw.


Cameron's Fish he caught.

Later that night we had a BBQ with all of the Wexels, and Chris surprised me with a little birthday cake. The kids had gotten me a little gift that I opened also. It was fun.




The next day was my birthday, the big 33. I can't believe I am that old! I don't FEEL that old, and I'd like to think I don't look it, but who knows I guess? What does 33 really look like anyway? We decided we weren't in a big hurry to get home, so we decided to drive down to Bryce Canyon.

We got to see lots of really pretty sights, including "Big Rock Candy Mountain". I had no idea it was a real place! I only thought it was a song.








It was a fun trip, and a fun birthday. I got text messages and phone calls from my entire family, telling me happy birthday which was really fun to get when we got home. By the time we got home, it was about 12:30 a.m. and the kids were zonked out. We quickly put them to bed, unloaded the car and then crashed!

It was a quick little vacation, but we had lots of fun. The thing I love most about our road trips is all the laughing we do, and this trip was no different! Despite the fact that I turned 33, it was a fun birthday and a weekend full of "wonder"! ha ha

3 comments:

Megan said...

What a cute family! Happy Birthday Nati! 33...I know! ugh...the numbers will only get bigger so I guess we'd better start appreciating how YOUNG we are now right? And you don't look a day over 23!How is it all you Bennion girls look so good after having babies?? I still looked pregnant until last YEAR! And we both know how old my babies are! =) Anyway...

Bethany said...

I'm glad that you had such a great reunion. Little Keric sounds like such a trooper. It's so nice when they'll just sleep the whole way. You look really good too. It looks like you've lost all your baby weight already. Don't worry, you will eternally be 30 in my mind. I always think you're just turning thirty for some reason. You just seem too young to be any older than that :)

The Zieglers said...

Happy Birthday! Gosh I can't believe we are in our "30's"! That seemed so old to me, but I really don't feel old! Looks like you had a fun week. And your looking super SKINNY!