
I hope I'm not being too sappy, or personal by writing this, but I wanted to remember this day in a few years.
This past Monday I got a phone call from my former Principal, Mrs. Miller. She told me that one of my co-workers sons had passed away that afternoon. He had been battling thyroid cancer for the past few months, and had lost his fight that afternoon. He was only 27 years old. I knew he had not been doing very well, but I was still so sad to hear he had passed away.
Today was his funeral. I got up early this morning and got Keric and I ready. Most of the teachers I worked with were there and it was so good to see them, but so sad to see Wendy. I couldn't help but cry as I gave her a big hug and told her how sorry I was.
The funeral was very nice, however Keric was pretty fussy during the whole thing and I spent most of the time outside in the foyer trying to calm him down. I got him settled down and asleep just in time to walk back in for the closing song and prayer.
After the service we all stood as the casket was taken out. As I stood up holding my sleeping baby I watched as the casket moved slowly down the aisle. I was looking at the top floral arrangement and the big red ribbon that was on it. On the ribbon was the word "Son". Right about that time, I caught Wendy's eyes. I realized as I stood there with my little fussy mess, what a surreal and horrible scene that must have been! I was HOLDING my baby, and she was BURYING hers! We both began to cry and I realized that I was unintentionally holding Keric a little tighter and closer to me as I sadly watched her follow her son's casket out of the chapel.
I was so humbled by the thoughts that were running through my head at that very moment. In a split second I was reminded of a few things that I needed to be reminded of:
1. Life truly is very fragile.
2. Your "baby" is ALWAYS your baby, no matter how old they are.
3. How thankful I am for the knowledge that I have that Families are Forever, and that there is life after this one.
I came home from the funeral with mixed emotions. I was so sad, and even almost depressed for the rest of the day as that image kept running through my head, but I was also thankful for the lessons that I was reminded of today.
One of my friends referred to this scripture in her blog the other day, and I actually thought about it today and it helped me to not be so sad.
D&C;101- 16 Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.
5 comments:
When I saw the picture/title of your post, I thought, “hmm?" However...after I got a few sentences in I started to cry. You painted a really vivid picture of your experience. I felt as if I were there...and I feel so, so, so lucky to be spending time with MY babies...sigh sigh sigh...to lose a child would be so, so hard. Squeeze baby Keric for me...twice...they don't always let you do that...Even though your post was tragic, it was truly meaningful and touching to me. Thanks Nati Pati...xo Meg
I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child! Your post was very touching I have tears streaming down my face! How lucky we are for the knowledge of eternal families and there is life after this one. Having lost Jill a few weeks ago made we want to live my life differently and appreciate all the wonderful things that I have! It gave me a different outlook on what's truly important! I too will squeeze my little ones extra tight tonight!
hey natalee, i have dealt with that same scenario many times, five different neighbors/friends have lost loved ones in the past three years, and my sisters mom in law has recently found out that she has a very agressive cancer. I tend to get very down and then i remember to bed thankful for those that i have in my life, and how much i love them and then things dont seem so bad. I am so glad that my little scriptural moment helped you too!!!
Hi Natalee...so sad to read this. I attended a funeral for 4 teenage boys taht were killed in a car accident over a week ago. Their funerals were last Thursday...i have spent this past week in reflection of what I have adn what those families don't. You wrote a beautiful post about a terrible loss.
That is so sad to hear about your co-workers son. We are truly blessed to have the gospel in our lives, and to have the knowledge that we can be eternal families.
Post a Comment