Sunday, January 3, 2010

Our Trip to WY.



This year we drove up to WY to spend New Years with my family. It's been quite awhile since we have been to my parents house. Last time we were there was at Easter time so we decided to take the last week of vacation and go see my parents.

We had planned to make the long drive on Monday morning the 28th, but poor Reagan got sick the night before. I will spare you the gory details, but sufficed to say the poor girl was up ALL night long, and so were we. Chris got most of the "sick" duty, but I did try to help as much as my weak stomach would allow.

The next day Reagan said she was feeling a lot better and wanted to go to WY, but we decided not to risk things and take a day to make sure no one else got sick, and that she really was feeling better. Taking an extra day proved to be productive however. No one else got sick, Reagie really WAS feeling much better, I got all my Christmas decorations down and put away, and Chris worked down in the basement. So even though we lost a day in WY, we made the most of it here.

Tuesday however, we got up early and hit the road. Well as early as we Wexels get. We were on the road by 10 a.m. which is doing pretty good for us. Chris has the attitude that we get there when we get there, we don't have a set schedule or anything we need to be there for, so relax and enjoy the ride. This has been somewhat of a hard philosophy for me to adapt to since I come from the school of we get up as early as we can, leave an hour after that, make as few stops as possible, and get there ASAP! I am learning that maybe Chris' idea of thinking is a little better way to do things, especially when you have three kids, and a Mommy who hates being in the car forever. Chris may disagree with this, but I think I am "chillin out" a little more on these WY trips.

For those of you who are from WY, you will understand that I just HAVE to stop at least once at Taco Johns for lunch while I am there. No one but me really likes it, they all humor me and go along with it which I appreciate, but stopping at Taco Johns for lunch is about the only thing that keeps me upbeat and motivated for the first half of the trip! :) We stopped in Rock Springs and ate Tacos. Keric even learned to say Tacos, and I do believe he actually liked the Tacos! Maybe he does have a little of his Mommy in him after all?




We got back on the road and made it into Powell at around 7:30 p.m. My mom of course had dinner sitting on the table ready for us and the kids were very excited to see their cousins! Danna and her family got to my Mom's house Sunday Night and Kimball and Eliane arrived on Monday.

One of the things I was really excited about was seeing the little playhouse my Dad built in their backyard. He has always built us kids a playhouse in all the houses we lived in except for one I believe. This time he built it for the grand kids, but I think we parents love it just as much if not more. My mom turned it into a little red school house complete with a bell on the outside and chalkboard inside. It is SO CUTE! Chris and I took Keric out to see the school, but I think it took about 5 minutes for Keric to get himself expelled from school! He and writing utensils do NOT get along! My mom had lots of crayons, colored pencils, and markers out there for the kids to color and draw with. Keric went straight for them, and I could just SEE the pictures he would leave all over the walls! So we didn't let him stay long.





Chris was so sweet and even took the kids for a few hours two days in a row! I was planning on going to lunch with my friend Shelly who I haven't seen in almost 10 years on Wednesday, so Chris took the kids to Cody to go souvenir shopping. We both struck out on that day because Shelly couldn't do lunch, and the little place we usually get souvenirs was closed for the season! So sad.

That night my Mom had a New Years party with my Grandparents, and my Aunt Carrie, Uncle Fred, and my cousins Lauren and Blake. Of course my mom had WAY too much food to eat, and sadly the night was spent doing a lot of eating, and sleeping. Yes, Cameron and I were the only ones who lasted until Midnight. haha






The next day Chris took the kids out to my Grandparents house with Danna and Brady and their kids to see the farm and to go look at the animals. I stayed at my parents house and finally got a chance to see Shelly! It was really fun to see her again and catch up. She totally looks the same, and it seemed like it had only been a few weeks since I had seen her last!










The kids had a great time looking at the miniature horses, pigs, chickens, and other animals. When Keric got home I asked him if he had fun with Grandpa Hopkin and he said "Horsies!" So I guess the horses were his favorite part.

We decided we had better get home for church on Sunday, so we headed home on Saturday. We got home sort of late, we made a couple of un-planned stops. Reagan really wanted a Carmel apple from Park City so we took them to get apples. Keric got chocolate covered oreo's which as you can see he thoroughly enjoyed!




We had a great time and hope we can go back soon! Maybe Collin and Bethany will be able to come too! :)

Thanks Mom and Dad! We love you!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. I was laughing when I read the part about how Chris takes his own sweet little time to get to places. :) Some things never change! He He (just joking Chris) I'm a little more like you.... or even worse. We like to leave at about 2am and have the kids sleep half the way on a long drive. Your parents house looks really pretty, and I love the little red school house. How dang cute!

The Zieglers said...

Natalee we need to plan to meet up in Powell sometime! We only missed eachother by a few days! I too have to hit taco johns a few times while I'm home....and I am the only one that really likes it in my family too! Looks like you had a good time!!

Cicily Bennion said...

What cute pictures you took - I didn't even know you were taking them. We sure had a fun time with you guys. Hope it isn't long before we do it again. Mom