Friday, April 11, 2008

Wal-Mart, the store that has EVERYTHING!

Once in awhile I have these random thoughts, and I think to myself, "I need to write that down someplace or else I will forget it!" Since I don't keep a journal, I guess this is the place to "write it down", so I apologize to those of you who end up reading my random thoughts.

I had a Dr.'s appointment this morning in SLC. Chris usually goes with me to all my appointments, but today he had early morning meetings, and he also had to do some interviews for a position they are trying to fill at work, so I drove in by myself. It's about a 45 minute drive from our house to my Dr.'s office, so when you're driving alone you have lots of time to let your mind wander. :) As I was driving back home my mind was wandering to some of the things I needed to get done today. One of the things on my list was grocery shopping. Since Tooele doesn't have many options for grocery stores, we usually end up going to Wal-mart so that we can kind of do ALL our shopping at once. I mean ya can't beat getting your oil changed while you're also doing your grocery shopping! :) Talk about killing two birds with one stone! ha ha Anyway, I was mentally going through the things that we needed in my head and I suddenly remembered a conversation I had with Reagan a couple weeks ago during sacrament meeting. It was one of those conversations where I thought to myself, "I need to write this down" and then obviously I forgot about it until now, so I better hurry up and write it down before I forget about it for good!

Reagan has one of those Book of Mormon story picture books that she likes to bring to church as her scriptures. They encourage the kids in primary to bring their scriptures, and so she likes to bring her big picture book with her every week. As we were sitting in sacrament meeting she was looking at all the pictures and asking me questions about them. She likes to ask me who is in the picture and what they are doing, and then her favorite picture that she likes to find is the picture of baby Jesus with Mary and Joseph. Once she finds that, we usually talk about it for a few minutes, sometimes she asks me if thats what Keric will look like when he is born, then she looks at it a little while longer, and finally closes the book. :) Anyway, that week she had found the story of Lehi's dream and the picture of the tree of life. In her book it has a full page picture of the dream and this "sparkly" (as Mae mae called it) tree off in the distance. She was of course drawn in by the sparkly tree and was asking me what it was. I told her it was the tree of life and I was showing her the fruit on it and all the people who were coming to eat the fruit. I tried to explain in the most generic terms possible, what the picture was, but nothing about Lehi's dream is very simple or generic! She sat and looked at it for a minute and then turned to me and said "Nati, can we go buy some of that fruit?" I kind of smiled and said, "Well honey, I don't think they have that fruit anywhere. Remember, it was a dream?" She thought about it some more and then said, "Nati, I'm SURE Wal-mart has some of that fruit. Can we look for it next time we go?" It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud! It was such an innocent and sweet little question to ask, and in a way, it was a rather logical solution to the problem! I guess when you're 5, Wal-mart truly DOES sell EVERYTHING! :)I told her sure, we could look for it next time we went to Wal-mart.

As a follow up to my story, we did happen to go to Wal-mart not very long after our little discussion. We walked up and down the fruit aisles looking for the sparkly fruit. Unfortunately we didn't find it, but Reagie settled for some Strawberries instead. :) So next time you find yourself in Wal-mart, check the fruit aisle....you never know what you might find! ha ha

3 comments:

Cicily Bennion said...

Oh, how sweet! If they did have it, and you picked it up, you know the other customers would just make fun of you anyway! Mom

Anonymous said...

That's cute! What a sweetie. I am glad she is interested in the scripture stories. Sounds like Tate. He keeps us on our toes with our scripture trivia!

Bethany said...

That's classic. I'll keep my eyes open for some spartly fruit.