Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A note to "KARMA"

According to Wikipedia, Karma is defined as: "... the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others."

This pretty much sums up what has happened to me over the last few weeks, thus making me swallow my pride, and admit to some of my many mistakes.

You all know about my extreme love of shoes! I think I've had this love of shoes since about birth! I have more pairs then I admit to, a new pair can always makes me "happy", and I truly do believe that shoes make the outfit! You can wear a fairly ordinary, everyday looking outfit, but put the right shoes with it, and it changes your whole outlook on what you're wearing and how you look. At least it does for me.

Being pregnant has not been kind to my favorite fashion accessory. Up until probably a month ago, I was able to continue wearing my cute heels, and really had no problems. My Dr. would ask me occasionally how my feet were doing, and I would smile and say, "Oh, I have worn heels for a long time. My feet feel just fine." (This is the part of the story where "Karma" comes in.)

A few weeks ago, I came home from work, and slipped my heels off. I started up the stairs to get the doggies out of their crates when all of the sudden I felt this "rushing" feeling down my legs. It felt like my legs had been asleep for a really long time, and all of the sudden were getting blood rushed back into them. I looked down at my feet and literally watched my ankles swell! I had no idea what to do! I just stood there for a second, hoping that it would either go away, or that I was just seeing things. After about 5 mins of starring down at my feet I decided that neither option was right. So, I did the first thing that came to my mind. I called Chris. When he answered the phone I blurted out "I HAVE NO ANKLES!" He sat there for a minute probably wondering who the crazy woman on the other end of the line was, and then said "I think this now qualifies as the weirdest conversation I have ever had." I explained to him my dilemma and he assured me that it was just a "normal" part of being in my last trimester of pregnancy and that the swelling would eventually go down or go away.

Well...the swelling did go down for awhile, but never enough for me to be able to wear my "cute" shoes to work again. I did however insist on pulling a Cinderella's ugly step sister move each Sunday and I would squeeze into my heels long enough to go to church, which really wasn't fun and probably looked as ridiculous as Cinderella's step sisters looked, but as of last week, that is also no longer a possibility. (Believe me, I TRIED!!!)

Not only has Karma taken away my cute shoes, she has been even more cruel to me as of this morning. Along with my love of shoes, I also have a very strong opinion of what shoes are "acceptable" to wear and which shoes should not even be put on a clearance rack at the dollar store. One style in particular that I detest are "Crocs". I have hated the look of these shoes since the moment I laid eyes on them. I have never understood the attraction to these ugly shoes, especially the attraction to the little buttons and pins that you can now put on them!!! I have always thought parents were almost cruel to put them on their little kids, and that adults who actually wear them, had to have been suffering from some form of blindness.( You have probably guessed where I am going with this story.)

It saddens me deeply to admit that it is hard to now wear flip-flops to work all day, and the only other choice I had, other then slippers, were Crocs! (The day I wear slippers to school, will be the day I prescribe myself to bed rest!)

So today I went to school with my new "Crocs" on. I could hardly look people in the eye. I kept hoping they weren't starring at my feet. I always made sure my feet were under my desk, and if I was sitting in a chair, I tried to hide my feet underneath the chair so as not to draw attention to my horrible shoes.

All day long I couldn't help but think of how ironic it all was. I always wondered where the dumb phrase "barefoot and pregnant" came from, Well I guess I know the answer now, they didn't have any other shoes that fit and they didn't want to wear CROCS!!!!!

Anyway,this is my plea to Karma....I give! You have proven your point! I'm sorry for being so critical and judgemental. Can I PLEASE have my feet back?!?!?!

*Disclaimer* My opinion is not necessarily that of the rest of my family. In fact both Cameron and Reagan have a pair of Crocs that they wear proudly. ( I didn't buy them, their Mom did) So, I apologize to any of you reading this who wear Crocs and enjoy them!

4 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Ok...can't figure out how to post HTML tags in comments...Oh well, I'll just post it on my blog, check blog for a pair of shoes...~M

Cicily Bennion said...

Welcome to the real world. Once you start motherhood you will give in to "Mom" jeans, "Mom" shoes, and no more manicured nails! I can't wait to see it - ha! Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is too funny, but I am so sorry! The swelling sucks! But at least the water weight comes off fast. I know what you mean about wearing things you otherwise wouldn't wear when you were pregnant. You are just so uncomfortable, the last thing you need is uncomfortable clothing to add to it! By the way, being a mom does not mean that you have to wear mom jeans! But, you might have difficulty changing diapers with the nails. :)