Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mommy of 4 for the morning

My sister in law Denise called me yesterday and asked me if I would mind watching Jack and Anna for a few hours while she went to work today. I told her sure, that would be fun for Cameron and Reagan to have their cousins come over and play. So at about 10 this morning she dropped Jack and Anna off for us to watch.

Jack is 3 and Anna just turned 7 months old. They are good kids and really easy to watch, but I was thankful that Chris was working at home today, just in case! :) I carried Anna around while I washed Reagan's sheets, and then I set her up with some toys on the floor while I did Reagan's hair. Cameron was good to keep Jack entertained, which was really helpful and nice! They played video games in his room, and played with some other toys later on.

After Reagan's hair was all done, she wanted to watch a movie with Anna. So she picked out an Elmo's world DVD, and I set the two of them up on the couch with Elmo while I finished up the breakfast dishes. I was really surprised at how fascinated Anna was with the TV. I would have thought she was too little to 'watch tv.' I had just gotten the dishes done, and went to check on the boys when Anna got fussy. So I got her bottle ready, and fed her. After she ate I took her up to my room and rocked her. The rocking didn't help as much as I thought it would, but I remembered Dad's trick of "Thump a Bum" and she went right to sleep after a couple minutes of that. I laid her on my bed with pillows all around her and then went to fix the kids their lunch.

We had Shrek macarroni with Apples and Capri Sun to drink. I even stuck some pre-made chocolate chip cookies in the oven for a little desseret. After they ate all their lunch I convinced them to go outside and play for awhile. I got my lunch almost eaten when Chris came down with Anna. I was surprised she had slept as long as she had! He went out to check on what the other kids were doing, and when he came back he kind of laughed and said, "Kind of feels like we have 4 kids huh?" I said, yeah, I guess it does. :) Then he said something like, it's not so bad, I kind of like it. :) I had sort of thought the same thing to. It was kind of fun to have them all around.

Denise came and picked them up around 1:30 p.m. and then it was back to just the 4 of us. I don't know how well I would do if 3 kids and a baby were a permanent, long term situation, but I do know I found myself appreciating my mom a lot more today! I have always known that she always had a lot of little kids around when I was growing up, but I guess this was maybe the first time I was actually in her shoes for a few hours today! I don't know how you managed to do it Mom, but thanks!!!!



Reagan and Anna watching Elmo's World.


Cameron and Jack playing with Magnets. Just for the record....I didn't do that to Jack's hair! His mom said he wanted pig tails like Anna this morning, so she put them in for him. :) He's such a funny kid!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you handled it beautifully. You would be just fine with four kids, but you may need to work up to it. :) Glad you and the kids had a good time. Cam and Reagan are so cute to help out!

Bethany said...

I don't know what it is about Elmo's world, but it casts some sort of spell on little kids. I personally don't understand the appeal of a scroungy looking red fur ball that has a really high voice and refers to himself only in 3rd person, but anyone under 2 seems to enjoy it :) Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed watching your neice and nephew. Whenever I babysit someone elses kids I'm surely glad to send them home :)

Mom said...

Sounds like you got along splendidly! I didn't realize Anna had gotten so big. Thanks for the cute pictures. Taking care of you own is always much easier than babysitting - I learned that quickly - but thanks for the nice compliments :)