Sunday, March 9, 2008

No...I'm NOT having twins!

The past couple of weeks or so, I have been getting some rather rude questions from various people, mostly women. It has happened enough times, that when I went to the Dr. on Friday, I decided to ask her about it. I've joked about my "big belly" lots of times, but lately I have been feeling a little self conscience about it. It started about two weeks ago when one of the Para's that works in my school asked me when I was due. This is a fairly normal almost every day question, and didn't catch me off guard or upset me in anyway, but her response to my answer sort of hurt my feelings. She said "JUNE! Oh my gosh, are you having twins?" When I said no, she didn't even have the common sense to stop her line of questioning! She then asked me, how I was going to "stretch any farther" then I already had. I kind of laughed it off, because after all she is a little Hispanic lady, (and when I say little I mean she probably still buys her clothes in the children's section), so I figured she just didn't know how big a person was supposed to look when they were pregnant. I mean come on, it isn't like I'm only 3 months along here. I'm starting on week 26! Unfortunately, she has not been the last person to ask me these sorts of questions. In the last week I have had 4 people, not including her, ask me when I was due, and then follow this question up with either a). are you having twins? or b). is your baby just extra big? So after coming home and crying over this line of questioning a couple of times I decided to ask my doctor about some of these comments. I mean this IS my first baby, maybe I'm the naive one about what I should be looking like, and it isn't like big babies aren't uncommon in my family. I felt a little better when she told me how rude those questions were, at least I couldn't be accused of being overly sensitive yet again,and then she proceeded to also confirm that NO I was not having twins. ( I had already pretty much guessed the answer to this question seeing as how I have had three ultra sounds!) NO my baby was not too big, in fact she measured me and he was measuring the "perfect size" for where I am at in my pregnancy, and YES, I am due in June. I've only gained about 15 pounds since being pregnant, but apparently, I carry my babies high, or at least I carry this one high. So after seeing Bethany's 'Jessica Alba' stomach, and being asked yet again JUST TODAY before leaving church when I was due....(You know the rest of the line of questioning) It is with great hesitation that I post my OWN 'J-Lo' stomach on the Internet. Just bare in mind that the three questions that may pop into your mind have been confirmed by a Dr as NO, NO, and YES! You have been sufficiantly warned!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the pictures. You look cute! I think most people who have been pregnant have stories about rude comments people say. I have it happen every time. Months 6-9 are the worst. There are just too many clueless people out there! Don't let it get to you!

Cicily Bennion said...

Thanks for the Prego pictures we requested. June isn't that far away, actually. I'm sure you hate to think of it, but you're going to be a lot bigger than that before you're done! Mom

Bethany said...

Leave it to mom to reassure you that you'll only get bigger...haha! Anyway, I think you look great. I got some really rude comments just like that when I was pregnant with Roman. I found that people in the ward were the rudest! I loved it when someone said, "I can't believe this is your first. Usually people don't get that big with their first one." I didn't even know what to say. I think I got teary-eyed right there. Anyway, I know how you feel and although I haven't gotten any crazy comments yet...they'll be comin' my way soon. Yea!!

the landreths said...

Natalee, this is cousin Ashley. I'm so glad you've been blogging! It was fun to catch myself up on your life :). I think you look great! Your 2/3 of the way through your pregnancy--what do people think you should look like?? You look fabulous.

Megan said...

hey, i'm blog stalking :) i have to say, i know those questions I to have heard them before and they are hurtful. you are an adorable pregnant lady!