Thursday, March 6, 2008

"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"......are you SURE????

They say..."The apple doesn't fall far from the tree". Not only have I always accepted this, I have SEEN it with my own two eyes especially while I have been a teacher. More then once I have ended a Parent/Teacher conference and thought to myself, "WOW, he/she looks like....or acts like.... their Mom/Dad!" However, the past couple years of being a "Step Mom" has made me wonder a little bit about this saying.

Cameron has always been, and will always BE the spitting image of his Dad. He looks like him, acts like him, and we were even laughing the other day at the fact that they have the EXACT same feet! They share many of the same interests, and love many of the same things, ie, computers, candy, being outside and not being able to sit very still for very long! (This is not encouraging considering Keric is ALREADY showing signs of this last character trait!). For example, this morning Cameron got up at 6 to exercise with Chris, and last Saturday he decided he wanted to go running with Chris and ran two miles without stopping on his first try! This is all to be expected from him, no real surprises, and therefore kind of proved the saying that the apple truly does NOT fall far from the tree.

However, then we have little Reagan. She makes me question this saying several times a day. At first I thought I was just making things up in my head. I thought many of the things she did that sort of reminded me of myself as a little girl, were really just generalizations of little girls period. Of course she loves to dress up, she's a girl! Of course she loves purple, and sparkly things, she's a girl! All of these were general enough, I couldn't truly say her mom didn't love them too, but lately, she has been acting more like ME, and I wonder if maybe apples don't fall from trees after all.

Reagan has always been my little shadow and loves to follow me around and help me clean, or do dishes, or just sit and watch whatever I am watching on TV. Last Saturday when Chris and Cameron went running, I laid down to take a nap. When I woke up, Reagan was curled up next to me totally zonked out! She normally hates naps, but she slept for a good hour and a half, and was snoring away just like I supposedly do! ( I have yet to hear myself, but Chris swears I do!) :) A few weeks ago on a Wednesday when Chris was working from home, he instant messaged me and asked me to guess what Reagan had been doing that afternoon. I can't remember what my guess was, but the answer wasn't at all what I had expected. She had been re-arranging her shoes and her closet! Sadly, that is kind of a Nati thing to do, and she was so excited to show me her neatly arranged shoes and closet when I got home. Last Saturday we bought Cameron some running shoes so he could keep running with Chris, and we bought Reagan some spring type shoes that look exactly like something I would wear myself. (In fact we looked for some in my size so we could be twins.) haha Granted I had a lot of pull in picking out the shoes, but she ultimately had the last say in which ones she wanted. She LOVES her shoes. She shows them to everyone and if we would let her, I am pretty sure she would wear them all day long everyday!

Although she is still pretty much the spitting image of a Wexels, I would like to think that somewhere in the mix, there happens to be just a TINY bit of her Nati in her. It does my heart good to see something of myself in her once in awhile, even if it is JUST a love of shoes and naps!

I do love my kids!!! I may not have given birth to two of them, but I think somewhere in the big scheme of things, they were always "mine!"



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how sweet. What cute kids! I can't believe how far Cameron can run! Impressive! And Reggie is a doll. I still want some belly pictures. You will be glad you have them someday. Trust me. :)

Cicily Bennion said...

Oh, how precious. No wonder I love little Reagan so much. I can't believe Cameron ran two miles - that is so crazy. He is so young. They both look so tall in the photos. And, yes, you need to send some prego pictures for us. Mom

Bethany said...

That's cute that Reagie wants to be just like you. You guys really are two peas in a pod. I'm really impressed that you both have your shoes organized. You guys wanna come do mine?