It wasn't that long ago that I was trying desperately to get Keric to say "Mom" or anything that semi resembled mom! Eventually that day finally came and I was thrilled! Slowly but surely he started to talk more and it was fun to hear him learn new words and repeat the things we said. Talking was even one of the things that his Dr. said he was AHEAD in at his 2 year check up, and Bubby being ahead in something really isn't something we are used to hearing!
Lately Keric seems to learn a new word every day! I am amazed still at the phrases he will say to me. The other day he walked into Reagan's room and was looking at her fish. He came running out pointing into her room and said "That's a fish!"
However just like anything else in life with the good also comes the bad. I'm not exactly sure when or where he learned the word "HELP!" but I am not entirely thrilled with this addition to his vocabulary.
The first time I heard him use it was when we went out to dinner with Mama Anne before her surgery. Keric was being his usual rowdy self and Chris had taken him aside and was trying to get him to calm down. All of the sudden I hear Keric yell "HELP!" Chris and I looked at each other in total disbelief! I just kind of shrugged my shoulders...I don't know where he learned it, but not only did he say it clear as day and loud enough for anyone around to hear he seemed to understand what it meant!
A few days went by and I didn't hear him say it again, and then we went to church. As you all know, church has never been a favorite place for Keric! He lasted about 10mins and then he was up trying to escape like he does every week. I grabbed him and told him to sit down and fold his arms. I picked him up to sit him back on the bench and yep, you guessed it...he yells "HELP!" in the middle of sacrament meeting!
I am fairly sure that this new word is going to earn me a visit from DCFS! He yells it all the time now when he is mad! He was mad at me in Wal-mart today and so sure enough the "HELP!" comes out. I of course got a few dirty looks from people standing in the aisle next to me.
When we came home I put him down for his nap. I guess he didn't think it was nap time yet and wasn't too happy about going down. I shut the door and he started in with the "HELP!" He was in his room yelling "HELP!" for like 5 minutes.
I keep waiting for someone to knock on my door or call and ask me if everything is OK! I'm sure the neighbors can hear him yell, he's not exactly quiet!
I have always been told, and have always believed that every baby is born with their own personalities. I suppose there was a time when I myself would be in a store and see a little boy or girl acting up and wonder to myself "What is wrong with their parents? Don't they know how to control their kid?" Well now I am the one who has the out of control kid and I'm sure there are people who look at me and wonder why I don't do something to make him behave.
I love my little bubby dearly, but he is honestly ALL boy, and he comes fully equipped with his very own, very STRONG personality despite the parenting that Chris and I do and have done!
I'm sure someday his persistence, stubbornness, and determination to get what he wants WHEN he wants it will serve him well in his life, but for right now...it's giving his Mommy a lot of unwanted grey hairs and anxiety attacks!
So the next time you see a Mom in a store trying to deal with a temper tantrum, or running down the street chasing after her child, don't look at her in disgust instead give her a big smile! She'll appreciate it, trust me!
1 comment:
oh dont you worry about that, anyone still giving dirty looks is retarded and should wear tin foil on their heads.
Post a Comment