Sunday, March 28, 2010

Potty Training



On Friday Chris took the kids to Wal-mart to pick up a few things for me. Because I am so close to my surgery date I am no longer allowed to take my regular pain medications for my hip, so I am basically useless when it comes to walking any farther than a few feet and even that is questionable depending on the time of day!

When they all came back Chris came in with a little froggy potty that he had bought for Keric! I was a little shocked that he had bought one because I guess I still kind of consider Keric too little to be potty trained even though I know full well he's probably not.

I suppose the biggest reason that I am so apprehensive about this new adventure is because I myself don't want to start doing it yet! When it comes to potty training I don't even really know where to begin! Heck I can't get the kid to quit throwing his food on the walls lately! How in the world am I going to convince him to go potty?? Granted it would be very nice to not have to buy diapers anymore, or change diapers anymore, but I was kind of hoping that he would be like my nephew and just come up to me one day and ask if he could start wearing underware!

I realize that the odds of this happening with any child are pretty much slim to none which basically means that with MY child the odds pretty much change to nonexistent, but a girl can still dream right?

Anyway, right after Chris got home with the potty, he unwrapped it and set it on the floor for Keric to "play" with. Surprisingly he knew what to do with it! He sat right on there, without any hesitation what so ever and he even talked about "pee pee", which was exciting, but that was about as far as it went.



We took his diaper off and sat him on there to see what he would do then. He sat for a little while, but seemed to be LESS comfortable sitting on it without his clothes on than with his clothes on and sadly he didn't stay on there for very long.



Later on I caught him trying to STAND in his potty,



and then after that I caught him letting Puppy try out the potty too.



We may have just as much luck with Puppy as we will with Bubby at this point!

I have been putting him on his potty every morning before his bath, but with absolutely no success to this point. I put him on it but he usually jumps right back off! I've even taken him in a couple times while changing his diaper to see if he would go, but he still hasn't gone. He doesn't sit there long enough TO go even if he had to!

I don't know? Maybe he is still too young to start, or maybe one day it will just click with him and then again maybe he will be going on 4 and still have not mastered the Potty Training thing! I have no idea. I guess only time will tell, but for now, we have a VERY cute little froggy potty in the kids' bathroom that hopefully one day will actually get used.

4 comments:

AdamAndMelaine said...

Good Luck! The one thing I've learned with my potty training Hannah last year is that for most kids, it is really a process. Every now and then you'll hear an amazing success story about a kid who went potty the first time and never had an accident again! Ha! :) For Hannah, she would have a few good days, and then day with accidents, then a few good weeks, and then a few days with accidents,and so on. It was about a 6 month-1 year process altogether. Hopefully that is not too discouraging. But I wish I had known that at first so I didn't keep asking myself, "What am I doing wrong??!" Oh and its all about positive reinforcement. The more we got upset, the worse she did. When we acted like it was no big deal when she messed up, and then really praised her when she did well, she would do fantastic. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. Just my thoughts! :)

Cicily Bennion said...

We know that Chris knows it is too early to start potty training, but who could resist a froggy potty in your froggy bathroom? I know couldn't! Mom

Jen Bennion said...

That's so cute! I don't know much about potty training other then it's most often a trial of consistency. My mom pretty much forced me to be potty trained in order to go to preschool and I actually still have bad memories of it :) He's probably a little young to expect much but I think it's good to introduce him to the "potty" so that he comfortable with it. We have friends who forced it and friends who waited until their kid was ready and the waiters seemed to be less frustrated then the others. When Violet is old enough I think after seeing both ways i'm leaning towards the waiting even though i'm sure i'll be sick of changing gross diapers:) Good luck though!

The Zieglers said...

My Dr. told me not to even attempt starting to potty train little boys until they are closer to three! And really....it worked! Both were potty trained COMPLETELY, even through the night, within weeks of their 3rd birthdays. One more suggestion..... teaching little boys to sit to potty = less pee to clean up off the floor, wall, toilet, etc!