We normally don't have much going on during the weekends, but this weekend was a little bit TOO much fun, and a weekend I hope to not see many more of!
Thursday afternoon, Keric was being his usual destructo self. I was trying my very best to keep up with him, but I was exhausted and I had somewhat of a headache. I kept thinking that if I could just lay down for awhile, I would feel better. Of course Keric was not interested in taking a nap, so I turned on Manny, I took some Ibuprofen, and tried to take a little nap on the couch, which of course never happened.
Ibuprofen has always worked for my headaches, and if it doesn't, which is rare, a Coke usually will. This headache however was not going away no matter WHAT I tried!
I am known to get headaches, not tons, but I get them here and there. I have had them since I was little, so it didn't seem like too big of a deal. This headache however just kept getting worse and before I knew it, I was throwing up. This also sadly, is not new to me. If I let my headaches get too bad, I always end up with my head in the toilet, but generally after that happens, I seem to be OK. Well, this time I wasn't. I threw up several times, and still no relief. By the time Chris got home at 6:30, I felt like I was going to die! I handed him Keric, told him I needed a break for awhile, and I went to lie down! I thought maybe I was just exhausted and that was why I had a headache and why I couldn't get rid of it. I was for sure exhausted because I didn't wake up again until 4:30 a.m.!
However sadly when I did wake up, my little "friend" was still with me and was worse than it was when I went to bed. I went downstairs and took some more Ibuprofen and tried to go back to sleep. I eventually fell asleep, but then woke up at 7 and started throwing up again!!
Now it was getting to a point where I not only couldn't keep anything down, I couldn't hold my head up without throwing up and lying my head down hurt too! I was crying I was in so much pain, and I had no idea what I was going to do. I obviously was in no shape to take care of a two year old, let a lone myself! I couldn't stand, I couldn't sit, I couldn't walk, I couldn't do anything but cry and throw up!
Chris stayed home from work THANKFULLY and was able to take care of Bubby and take care of me. He gave me a blessing and gave me some of his migraine medicine to try and then sent me back to bed. I tried yet again to sleep, but I didn't have much success and I couldn't even keep the water and migraine medicine down for more than a couple of minutes.
Finally I decided maybe I needed to go to the Dr. and see if he could help me with this headache, and also help me to keep something in my stomach.
A few years ago Chris had a really bad migraine that he ended up going to the Dr. for. The Dr. gave him a shot that took the nausea away and also knocked him out for several hours. By the time he woke up, his headache was gone. I was hoping that they would do the same thing for me. When I went in, they took my blood pressure and it was really really high. Of course that is a big thing, and always a red flag but since I don't have a history of high blood pressure, and have only had high blodd pressure when I was pregnant, they didn't seem too concerned by it. They checked it a couple more times and it was a little lower each time. So they decided that the high blood pressure was a result of the pain I was in. I do have to go in again on Tuesday to make sure it is still not too high however.
The Dr. did end up giving me the same shot he gave Chris, and told me to go home and go to bed. He told Chris I would probably be out for quite awhile, and when I woke up, I should feel much better. However, if I did NOT feel any better, or if my headache was worse when I woke up, I needed to go immediately to the ER.
While we were driving home I could feel my body relaxing, and could feel myself getting really sleepy. Chris helped me up the stairs and put me to bed. I feel right to sleep, but I woke up an hour and a half later, and my head felt worse than it did when I had gone to the Dr. I REALLY did not want to go to the ER, but I didn't have any other choice.
I truly have never been this sick before! The last time I had a headache like that I was pregnant, and the way they got rid of it was by delivering my baby. Well obviously none of these were options! So it was off to the ER. We thought about driving up to SLC to LDS hospital where Bubby was born, but I didn't think I could survive the car ride, so we just went to the ER here which thankfully was only a couple blocks away.
Mama Anne met us at the ER and took Bubby home with her, and I was admitted really quickly, which I was thankful for! My blood pressure was way high again, but no fever, and I was dehydrated. They hooked me up to a couple things, and started asking me all sorts of questions. You know your head HURTS when you can't entirely remember your address!!
The Dr. told me I had a severe migraine and he wanted to do a CAT scan on my head to make sure that I didn't have any bleeding on my brain. My CAT scan came back clear, and they gave me a big shot of some heavy duty narcotics and kept me there for observation for an hour or so. When I left the ER my headache was almost totally gone, and I actually felt like I could maybe eat something. They again told me to go home and go to bed, and if my headache was STILL not gone, I needed to come back and they would do a spinal tap.
We got home around 11 and I went to bed. I slept through the night, although I will admit that I had several anxiety dreams about my head still hurting! I woke up around 7 and amazingly enough my headache was gone! I also have been able to eat and drink a few things and keep them all down!
It really was a scary experience! I always kind of thought that I got migraines, but when you look up the definition of them, I don't have all the symptoms. I don't lose my vision, and light doesn't affect me or bother me, but the Dr. said that those things don't HAVE to happen for them to be considered a migraine. It's the pain and nausea that are the biggest factor in migraines, and that I certainly DO get!
So I guess next time...and heaven help me there wont BE a next time, I will know more what I am dealing with, and will hopefully be able to get it fixed much faster!
April 3, 2012
14 years ago
4 comments:
Natalee, That sounds aweful. I am sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. Next time please don't hesitate to call me. I am only a few houses away and I can keep Keric for you. Get feeling better.
Oh dear that sounds like a very rough weekend!! I hope you don't have to deal with that again!!!
yikers!!! do they know what triggered it, so that you can try to avoid it in the future?? i get bad headaches if i do not get enough protein. i am so sorry, that is beyond miserable.
I have gotten migraines since I was young.....but NEVER as bad as yours! I am SO sorry! Lets hope that was a one time deal and you won't have to go through it again!
Post a Comment