Sunday, June 14, 2009

1 Year Check-Up


We were a little late getting into the Dr. for this check- up. He is technically still within the 12 month window, but he's getting closer to 13! Wow!

Keric did great at his appointment. I was really surprised that he didn't weigh more! He feels like he weighs 30 lbs, but not so. I was sad that his picture didn't come out. They had this really ugly green and purple furry thing above the scale for the kids to look at and help them stay still, and Bubby was afraid of it! So his picture is not great, but oh well.

He is a little light for his age, but not too bad. I guess he is just kind of stalky. I hope he didn't inherit MY height, and that he gets a little taller.

We of course weren't surprised by that his head size was almost off the charts!! Jeez, the poor kid! I think he is 11 lbs head and 11 lbs everything else! All those brains right?

All in all he is catching up to kids his age fairly quickly. We were able to tell his Dr. that he is finally crawling, and semi-standing, but no walking as of yet. She suggested that we work a little more with him on the walking, he is about two months give or take behind and also that we take the bottles away, and start him on Sippy Cups.

The next day I did as she suggested, took all the bottles out of the cupboards and replaced them with sippy's. I should have known he wouldn't go down without a fight, I just didn't think it would be this big of a fight!

He went almost an entire day without drinking anything! He flat our refused to have anything to do with the Sippy cup. Chris even tried putting some Hershey's Syrup on the nipple part to get him to start sucking on it, but all he did was suck the chocolate syrup off and then throw the cup. All throughout the day as soon as he would see me with his sippy cup in hand he would start shaking his head No, and holding his hands up to block me from putting the cup up to his mouth. It was getting to the point where I'm sure he was dehydrated! He had like one wet diaper all day long! I gave him a drink out of a regular cup, which was a little more welcomed, but WAY messy!!! I think he got more on him, than in him.

After about a day and a half of all of this, I decided that it just wasn't worth it! I mean my child has NEVER done anything on time, why would I expect this to be any different. I should know by now that he does things in his own way, and on his own schedule!

I shed a few tears over it, but I got over myself. It's just a stupid bottle, he's only 1, not 5! So we are back to having bottles (mainly at nap time or at bed time), lots more wet diapers, and a much quieter house and happier Mommy!

No comments: