Sunday, May 11, 2008

WE MADE IT!!!


It seems so weird that just a couple weeks ago, Chris and I were talking to Dr.'s about the possibility of Keric having to come too early, and thinking of all the horrible little NICU images we may have to soon face. Thankfully, I got a very nice Mother's Day present from Keric today, and he has stayed put and has now officially made it to 35 weeks!

Friday was my 4th NST. My blood pressure was a little high, but my protein levels were lower again. It seems to be either one or the other with me, but always a high something. They always do a little ultra-sound with an NST so they can monitor your fluids and make sure the baby still has enough amniotic fluid. We like to kind of watch Keric swimming around in there while they are measuring fluid and the nurses are always nice to point little things out while they are measuring too.

On Tuesday we got to watch him gulping. The nurse said she had never seen it that clear on an ultra sound before. It was so funny, he just kept gulping and gulping and gulping. On Friday he was doing breathing movements. They obviously don't really take in air, but he was exercising his little lungs and diaphragm. We asked if that had anything to do with the steroids I took last week, they don't of course really know, it could have been, but she said around this time of pregnancy they are hopefully developing those muscles on their own and using them. Anyway, it was fun to see. The NST usually lasts about an hour, and the nurse showed me on the monitor where I had had a couple of contractions while I was hooked up. They weren't real big ones, and obviously not very consistent, because I was totally unaware of them, and didn't remember feeling anything "different". That was kind of exciting to see too. My first real contractions. ha ha

Everything looked good from their perspective, so off we went to my regular Dr.'s appt. She said she was pleased with how well things were going. Right now we are going to continue our 'course of action' as she calls it, and see what my body does on it's own for right now. The latest they will let me go without inducing is 39 weeks, so around the 9th of June or so, would be the latest he would be born. I'll continue to do my NST tests twice a week, and I also will have more labs drawn on Friday to see if the pre-eclampsia has gotten any worse or if it has remained fairly stable. I honestly wouldn't assume it is any worse from the tests I've had this past week, but I guess the blood tests and 24 hour urine tests are the most accurate tests for pre-eclampsia, so I need to do a second round of all those, and then I guess we'll see what those results are and where we go from there.

Right now Keric would be OK to come at anytime, should he have to or want to. So, if my contractions became a normal thing in the next couple of days, they wouldn't stop them. She told us that he may need to have a little oxygen for awhile if he came this week, but other then that, there really were no more indications that I wouldn't have a "perfect" baby. So we have been extremely relieved.

I have to admit that I am well into the very uncomfortable stage of pregnancy, and now that I know he would be OK coming at anytime, I've secretly been hoping he will hurry it up a little! But who am I kidding....after all this stress and anticipation, he probably wont come until he's forced to. Oh well, I'm at least basically ready for him when he does make his arrival. We will keep you posted.

Happy Mother's Day to the rest of you!!!!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Nati, great news! And I DID get the pkgs mailed out. Check it out...they're in shoe boxes from our most recent shoe purchases for J and M...their feet are huge! I'm sure you're dying to buy size 9 Nikes at $100 a pop...only to have him walk through a muddy field and never wear them again...Only when Keric is 13 they'll probably cost $200. ;-) See...I knew there was a reason I had my children when I was merely a child myself...INFLATION!

Bethany said...

I'm glad that Keric is still able to bake a little longer :) That's kind of nice that you get to have so many ultrasounds. I had one of those hour-long ultrasounds with Romie because he was overdue and it was so fun to see him exercising his little lungs. Did the nurse say that she could see hair? I remember we could see tons of his hair flowing around.