Yet again I have neglected my poor blog! UGH! Here goes attempt number 572 at catching up... :(
When I was little, my mom and dad came home with a brand new car! I still remember staying at my Grandma Hopkin's for the day while my parents went to Billings. I don't think we had any idea why they were going, but I remember looking out the door at the new car driving down the lane to pick us up. It was a brand new PEA GREEN car. I don't think at the time the color was a big deal to us as kids...we just were excited to have a new car.
As I got older, the car fondly became known as the "Pea Green Bomb". I also learned how the pea green bomb came to be. My Dad has always been kind of a "wheeler dealer" and I guess when they went looking for cars, they found the Chevrolet Malibu and really liked it. My Mom liked the maroon one...(I think, I hope I'm getting the details right) but the maroon one was a little too pricey. They DID however have a pea green one that wasn't selling, and my Dad got a great deal on it...basically because of the color. It wasn't just green on the outside, it was green EVERYWHERE! The seats were green, the dash was green, everything was green. Well...fast forward a few weeks and my Uncle John and Uncle Doug also bought brand new Chevrolet Malibu's from the same dealership for the same price as my Dad bought ours. The catch? They had a pretty blue one, and a pretty maroon one! They told the salesman about my Dad's great deal, and got the same deal on the prettier colored cars!
I remember just HATING that car, and being so embarrassed by it! I've never been one to hide my feelings too well, so I'm sure I made my feeling very well known to my Mom and Dad, and I'm sure I made them known often!
Well...as they say KARMA has a way of coming back and biting you in the behind. 20 some odd years later, I find myself in the same boat as my Mom and Dad were in. I have three little kids, and we have outgrown our car! We have known for awhile that we needed a new car, but just haven't felt like it was something we could do "right now". For the most part, we really loved our "Bye-Bye" but the kids were getting bigger, and it was becoming apparent that we couldn't keep the "Bye-Bye" for much longer.
One day Chris came home and said that there was Ford Expedition on one of the dealerships lots that was about the right price, and maybe we should consider looking at it. I've never owned a Ford, didn't know much about it, but heck..I didn't care! Right price, fits us all, good car...let's do it! So later that day when I was out doing some errands, I drove by the dealership. My jaw dropped to the floor! There it was..the Ford Expedition, the one with the right price, sitting there in all it's PEA GREEN glory!! I couldn't believe what I was looking at! How do these stupid little things always seem to catch up to me???
I called Chris on my cell phone and said "It's PEA GREEN!!" He sort of laughed and said, well...not really, but yes, it is green" My first reaction was NO WAY, we can find another car!
Several days went by, and we drove past the car several times, but never stopped. That weekend Keric went to play at Corbin's house for a couple hours, and on a whim Chris and I went to look at the Pea Green Bomb. It turned out to be a better deal than we thought! The car looked brand new inside and out. The guy was going to give us a deal on our trade in that seemed almost too good to be true, and it quickly became a deal that we just couldn't walk away from. In fact it almost seemed like an answer to our prayers.
So I swallowed my pride, signed the papers, and took my very own Pea Green Bomb home with me! It didn't take long for the color to stop bugging me..in fact I don't even think about it much. It's a nice car, and it fits our family. Keric LOVES it, and wants to drive it everywhere we go, even if it's just me and him going.
It will be a good car for our family, and should last us a long time. Despite the irony... I am very thankful for my very own "Pea Green Bomb"
No comments:
Post a Comment