Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Legend Lives On!!



They say that if you wait long enough, despite your best efforts, you will see yourself turn into your parents one day. While there are many aspects of BOTH my parents personalities that I would love to wake up with there are always those occasional odd things that my parents did while I was growing up, that I laugh at and tell myself...I just can't see myself doing/saying that.

Well...one of those things happened last night! When we were growing up and we wouldn't eat our dinner, my Mom and Dad used a number of methods to convince us to eat. The two that I remember most were my Mom telling us that our spaghetti, peas, beans...whatever it was we were refusing to eat, would cry, if we didn't eat them. I think I remember her even actually telling us she could HEAR them crying. Well...being the "guilty conscience" person that I am...that generally worked on me when I was little, or at least until I realized that my Mom really couldn't hear my peas crying!

The next tactic was one my Dad used. He would tell us that if we didn't eat he would have to get out the "Big Spoon". Lucky for us, and probably lucky for him, none of us ever had to HAVE the big spoon. I don't know what was so scary about a big spoon, but NONE of us wanted to see my dad heading towards us with a big spoon in his hands. My Dad has since admitted he really didn't HAVE a big spoon, nor does he remember why he thought of this as a threat, it just for whatever reason seemed to work, so he stuck with it. It's been something we have all laughed about for years!

Well...I have since been blessed with a child who on a good day eats maybe one meal a day, and the things that he will eat are embarrassing to admit! He is worse than a picky eater...he is just simply NOT an eater!

Last night was no exception. We had taco salad for dinner, and he normally likes taco's, but he decided last night that he didn't like them. We were all finishing up, and Keric still had more than 3/4 of his dinner left on his plate! The next thing I knew I heard "Do you want Dad to get the big spoon!?" come out of my mouth!

Well it was bad enough that I had said it...but I wasn't about to also not HAVE a big spoon, so I told Chris to go and get the big spoon! Poor Chris..it probably should have been "Do you want MOM to go get the big spoon", but being the good husband that he is, he followed through on my threat, and got the big spoon.





It sadly wasn't as effective as I hoped...he did take a couple of bites from the big spoon, but not enough to make much of a dent in his plate.

I guess I will just have to keep holding to the Dr.'s advice of "He'll eat when he's hungry" and try not to stress out about it.

But until then...I DO have a big spoon, if anyone wants/needs to borrow it!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

What a creative way to use the big spoon. Cute.

The Zieglers said...

That's hilarious! Keric is such a cute little man....when did he get so big?

Ashley said...

Oh my - it looks like my boy - I can count the things he eats on my fingers. Chin up - he actually started eating a real meal this summer, so maybe it will get better!