Thursday, July 22, 2010

Quiet Little moments

Last night Mama Anne invited us all up for dinner and Smore's. I had YW last night, so I didn't get up there until about 9. By the time I got up there I could HEAR Keric screaming in the back yard when I got out of the car! One can only imagine what he is screaming about on any given day!

I went inside and found him standing at the Hot Tub crying and watching the other kids "swim". Swimming lessons may not have been such a great idea after all.

The rest of the night consisted of lots of chaos, frustration, and yes...screaming from Keric.

When we got home, it was late, and Chris and I both commented on Keric's behavior and "what are we going to do with him?!"

The kids went upstairs to get jammies on, and I got Keric ready for bed. I was cleaning up and trying to get everyone in one spot so we could have family prayers. When I went into Keric's room, I found him kneeling at his little bed saying his prayers! He's never said his own prayers before. Sometimes he will repeat what we say to him, but tonight he was doing it all on his own. I could only make out a few little words, like Mommy, Daddy, Chompie, and Nae (Cameron and Reagan) but it brought tears to my eyes.

He said his big hearty "AMEN" and then grabbed his puppy, jumped in his bed and pulled the covers on top of him. I think it was only then that he realized I was standing in his doorway watching him. He gave me a BIG toothy smile, and then closed his little eyes real tight and said "Nigh Night".

He is such a big boy now, and all in all, such a SWEET boy! I know I have my moments with him, and there are days I wonder if my future holds days in Principal's offices and nights of curfew violations, but once in awhile there is a quite little moment where I am reminded of just how sweet he really is and just how lucky I am to have him!

2 comments:

Jen Bennion said...

So sweet! It's crazy how these kids are like little sponges, just taking it all in. Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done!

Shannon said...

Awww... cute! I feel the exact same way with Corbin. Sometimes I wonder if he hears anything I say, or if he hears it, if he even cares. He has definetly been my trial in raising kids so far. Sometimes he suprises me too, and I realize that he is listening to me sometimes. : )