Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentines Day Weekend

A few weeks ago when Chris brought home my little pocket video camera, he asked me if it was ok if that was my early Valentine's day present. Of course I was completely fine with that, and like a fool, I believed him! One of these days I won't be so gullible.

A few days before Valentine's Day I got a phone call from one of our neighbors asking if we had plans for Valentines Day weekend, still being the naive person that I am, I said no, and told her that we would love to come to their house for dinner and games that Saturday.

So as Valentines day came closer, I thought that our only plans would be going to our Neighbors for dinner, and maybe a card from Chris.

I had decided a long time ago that Chris had gone one too many holidays being "jipped" so even though I had gotten my Valentine's day present early, I was going to buy him something for Valentines day despite his protesting.

He is kind of hard to buy for. I feel like really the only thing he gets excited about is a new knife, however after the whole fiasco we had with Bubby, Chris' pocket knife, a chair and Bubby's thumb, I figured a new knife was kind of out of the question!

Lately Chris has been "stealing" his Mom's Nintendo DS and bringing it home for a few days to play with after work or on his oh so rare down times. I know he loves to play video games, but really doesn't have a lot of time to do it, and really no place TO do it! So since he has some business trips coming up, I came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea! I would get him a new game system to take on the plane, and also to play with at home. I waited until Thursday to go buy anything so that I wouldn't have to hide it for very long. I was so excited about my purchase, and about finding what I thought was the "perfect" gift, but then I went and screwed it up!

I left the bags in the very back of the Santa Fe. I did this on purpose thinking it was a rather "safe" place to hide them. Chris hardly ever drives the Santa Fe, and when he does, there is generally no reason for him to open the very back, so I thought I had "hid" it in a rather clever place. Well wouldn't you know it, that VERY night Mama Anne called and needed him to come up and do some work for her. He grabbed his tools and loaded them up in the Santa Fe, and well...you can figure out the rest of the story. I was so mad at myself and so sad that my surprise had been ruined! It's hard to get much if anything past him!

On Friday he sent me a message saying that we had a date that night but I was not allowed to know where we were going. Uh oh...this usually means he has something big planned, and I thought that I had already gotten my big Valentine's gift!

After we picked up Cameron and Reagan we took all three kids up to Mama Anne's for a fun Friday night of Pizza, Movies, and games. Then Chris and I headed off to SLC.

We went to see the movie Valentines Day, which I actually really liked, and then we went to dinner at Flemings. We hadn't been to Flemings since the night we got engaged. I LOVE that place! It is a real treat to get to go eat there!! The food is amazing!

Our Dinner at Flemings. SO YUMMY!!!

On Saturday we took the kids on a Valentines Date. We took them to the movie "Percy Jackson" which was a lot better than I thought the previews made it look! Bubby was actually not too bad in the movie either. This was the first movie we had taken him to in months and he sat pretty nicely for most of it. He only asked for Manny a couple of times. After the movie we took them to Cold Stone for ice-cream.

That Evening Chris and I went over to dinner at the Hinds' house, and had a good time eating and playing games with a few other couples from our ward for a few hours.

We also did our Valentine presents that night. Bubby got a new puppy...which sadly still has not taken the old puppy's place, but maybe someday. Cameron got a new knife...( I know..he has been warned to keep it far far away from Keric!)and Reagie got a gift certificate to get a manicure at Nails. She has been asking to get her nails done there for as long as I can remember. She wont get the real acrylic nails until she is older obviously, but we thought it might be fun for her to go and get a little hand massage, and get her nails painted one day. I gave Chris his present, which he pretended to be surprised about, and then he gave me mine! I told him I already had mine, but apparently not. He gave me a nice card, flowers, a new pancake griddle, AND a gift certificate for a pedicure!!

My flowers! Duh! Of COURSE they have purple in them!

Sunday we had to have our traditional Valentines Day breakfast made by Chris too. I seriously look forward to this breakfast all year long! So sad huh? Since church is at 9, we had Valentines Day brunch, but Chris broke my new griddle in by making his famous heart shaped chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries.


The Chef hard at work on the new griddle!


Reagie helping with drinks.


Mmmmmmmm! So good!


Putting the final touches on the pancakes.


A Bubby sized plate. :)


Ready to eat!!


Yummy Strawberries!


We all sort of looked like this after we were done, but it looks a little cuter on Bubby!

It truly was a PACKED weekend, and a very fun weekend as well! I'm not entirely sure what it was that I did to deserve someone who is so mindful and sweet to me, not just on Valentines Day, but everyday! I am truly grateful for him and when and if someone does figure out that a mistake has been made, I don't intend on giving him back! haha

1 comment:

Cicily Bennion said...

Oh, that Chris. He always goes way over the top for Valentine's Day! We exchanged cards - ha! Mom