Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Welcome to our Family Carson



My time and energy for blogging has seemed to be well...non-existent, but at the present time Carson is sleeping and content, so I better do something a little more productive than look and dream at all the stuff on Pintrest! :)

I truly can't believe that Carson is already a month old! Where has time gone??

Before I forget it, I wanted to write down Carson's birth story.

The week before Carson was born was probably one of the hardest weeks of my pregnancy! I in all honesty felt like my entire body had just been taken over! I couldn't seem to eat enough, drink enough, sleep enough, or cry/yell enough. I was so grumpy and grouchy and totally uncomfortable! My hip was really hurting, my feet were completely swollen and sore and all I wanted to do was sit on the couch, about the only comfortable position I could find, but that really wasn't realistic, although I spent more time on the couch than I honestly should have!

I still took Keric to school, still did Activity Days, and even got the laundry done,, but that was about it for the week. On Friday March 9th I had my weekly Dr.'s appointment. Dr. Holmes had told me the week before that she would strip my membranes at this appointment, so I was a feeling a little nervous when I went to check in with the nurse.

I weighed in and then sat down to have my blood pressure taken. It had been high for several weeks off and on, but lately it had been pretty normal, except for today! I don't remember the exact reading, but I do remember seeing a 110 on the bottom number and I knew enough about blood pressure readings to know that that reading was NOT good!! The nurse and I looked at each other with our eyes kind of wide, and I knew this probably wasn't good!

We didn't talk to Dr. Holmes for very long, just long enough for her to tell us that we needed to head up to the hospital to get some stress testing done, and to probably plan on either being admitted, or being on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy.

Of course we hadn't brought anything with us, plus we had Keric with us, and were supposed to be picking up Cam and Reag for the weekend. To say we were ill prepared would be a total understatement!

Somehow it all seemed to work out. I was admitted to the Hospital around 5:00 p.m. and Dr. Holmes agreed to wait on the Pitocin while Chris drove back home, dropped Keric at Grandma Anne's and got all my stuff.

Labor this time was a lot different than it was with Keric. It hurt a lot more, I'm not sure I even actually felt any contractions with Keric. Lots of pressure, but never any real "pain". My water broke and wow did it ever break! I think I was ALL water!! They said I had about 3 times as much water as normal! Nice!

I was in labor for about 8 hours, MUCH shorter than Keric's 24 hours! However the almost 2 hours of pushing didn't work this time. I pushed and pushed until I truly thought I was going to pass out, but I never got anywhere, so we ended up doing a C-section after all.

I was a little nervous, but more relieved that it was all about to be over, and there would be no more pushing and counting to 10 involved!

It took about 30 mins or so from start to finish. The pressure they always talk about feeling, yeah...it's more like a flippin car sitting on your chest, not exactly what I would call a "little pressure", but other than that, it wasn't horrible.

At 4:28 a.m. out little big man was born, and boy was he MAD about it! Keric never made a sound when he was born, but not Carson! He wailed and screamed and cried with the best of em! Nothing wrong with that little boys lungs!!

He weighed in at 8lbs 7oz and was 20.5 inches long. Other than being quite a bit bigger than Keric, he looks exactly like him! My two little clones!

For the most part he is a good baby! Loves to be held, loves his swing - sometimes, and loves to sleep...except he sleeps during the day and is awake most of the night!

We love him and are so happy to have him join our family! I'm excited to watch him grow up and to become his own little person. As much as he looks like Keric, I wonder if he will act like him as well? I guess time will tell.

I love you Squeakers! Even if you don't let your mommy sleep!

No comments: